Have you noticed that some people have a profile photo appear alongside their results in Google Search? Would you like to do that with articles and posts that you have written? This post explains how to officially link your content to your Google+ profile. You can set this up for multiple domains to which you contribute.
Why Set Up Google Authorship?
Having your content officially linked to you will help to raise your credibility and your standing in Google’s search ranking algorithms. Google Authorship is part of Google’s strategy to authenticate quality content and links. By using Google Authorship:
- Your results will stand out more with a profile photo.
- Google often delivers personalized search results to people based upon their Google Plus connections and recommendations. So people you’ve connected with are more likely to see your results near the top!
How to Set Up Google Authorship
- are the only person posting on your blog then this is fairly straightforward to set up, as detailed below.
- have multiple authors contributing to your blog then follow the instructions here instead.
1. Be sure to upload a clear and recognisable head shot photo on your Google+ Profile.
2. Include a byline containing your name on each web page containing your content, e.g. “By Gary McLaren” or “Author: Gary McLaren is…”. Your byline name must match the name on your Google+ profile.
You do this by adding the email address to the Work section of your profile. Don’t worry, if you wish you can keep the email address private between you and Google.Google will send you a verification message to that email address. When you verify that you received it, Google will add a link to the domain in the “Contributor to” section of your profile.
4. From the byline on your article you should either
- link directly to your Google+ Profile using the “rel=author” tag, e.g.
- link to your Author Page on the domain using the “rel=author” tag, and then link from your Author Page to your Google+ Profile using the “rel=me” tag, e.g.
Of course, make sure you use your Google ID and not mine!
Be patient as the photos may not appear beside search results immediately. You can also go here to check that everything worked correctly. This will allow you to see results like this: